View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #65 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Of the 7 things and their variants I've rerun, Only 2 (and their variants) show signs of success

While I figure out how to get tabular data up for everyone here's the sneak peak.....

What Worked
PriusKamm - It was a line connecting the trunk trailing edge to the closest tangent of the rear of my car. Not exactly the Prius, 18.x degrees versus 15.5 degrees. 3.85% over baseline @55
PriusKamm with Lip - Same as above, but with a flat lip at the end to straighten flow. Was slightly more effective than PriusKamm. 4.89% over baseline @55
Novel Spoiler - as seen on Green Car Congress - copied directly and pasted right in. Was beneficial, but not as much as the two above. Needs further testing. 2.3% over baseline @55

What didn't work
crxKamm - 10 degree slope, one of the first images I posted -26%
crazyLongKamm - well explain later, it produced a lot of lift -29.5%
trunkDeck - 7 degrees to follow trunk line -5%
flatDeck -16%
Three Iterations of VG's - my last one was getting close to promising, the "value" was better, but the "average value" was worse. Bonus points that this placement doesn't add to frontal area but alas, is placed on the rear glass in line of sight.

In the pipe....
A variety of flat spoilers at different angles... I think I'm going to make a whole bunch and do a batch run tonight. Initial results indicate that a flat spoiler in the configuration I modeled is slightly beneficial o.0

Still taking requests

I've also decided that I'm going to do a more official paper type write up, to consolidate everything here and allow the information to spread easier