View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
almightybmw
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
you start with understanding Variable Valve Timing. They don't use flywheel weights to adjust it like old school governors. Last I checked it was controlled electronically by a happy little computer. If your engine doesn't have it, you can't add it without significant effort, more than it would be worth. Electronic solenoid controlled valves are superior to standard mechanical cam controlled valves, but it's not as simple as adding solenoids and removing camshafts.

...or is it...?

Start by understanding valve theory; ie valve overlap, length, lobe profile (how fast it opens and closes). Presumably you could use the values given for you motor. You don't need a timing belt anymore, or camshafts, so the need for ample amounts of oil in the head are reduced, if not almost eliminated. We'll start simple first, so lets ignore the oil issue.

Where were we? Oh right, no camshafts. Okay, you have an empty head, just valves on springs. Time to rig up some solenoids. You know the timing of the valve, so you'll need to time that to the crankshaft's rotations. Simple method? EDIS trigger wheel on the crankshaft pulley. Quite common thing for custom ecu installs. Trigger wheel spins, optical eye sees the rotation, computer interprets degrees into timing, solenoid triggers, valve opens and closes. Simple enough right?

Now I know someone out there is going to say "What about the electrical load on the motor now? It takes quite a bit of energy to open a valve, I can't even push them open by hand!" Yeah, I can't either. Good thing they make lighter springs. But if that fails, the valve drops, engine explodes, game over. Aha! says the wise man, use a two stage solenoid! Oh wait, if the power goes off, the solenoid won't hold the valve up, down she goes.... Dang. Looks like a strong titanium spring may be our best bet. Back to figuring out electrical load for the valves CONSTANTLY opening.

Not as easy as it sounds. Not for the weak at mechanical and electrical understanding.

Oh yeah, another random thought: Valves can crash 2 ways: up and down. You release the solenoid to fast and the valve slams shut, possibly weakening the head, maybe even snap it off. So now we have to open and close the valve using variable power input the to the solenoid.

Hope that helps you some, gives you ideas. I'm thinking since you're asking this question that you're not currently capable of undergoing this task. It sounds awesome, and I think I'd like to find an old single cyl motor and try this out, maybe as a senior design project. I have the understanding, but not the skillset yet to attempt this.

Someday.