View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Why does it matter what it's there for, when we all know what it actually accomplishes?

Sure, they put it there so people wouldn't be offended by engine noise... but insulation of any kind will retain heat, and you don't think they designed part of the engine management system around that extra heat?
I'm not convinced that it will be beneficial enough to be measurable.... My house has a fair bit of insulation - but it will get cold quickly with the windows open. Unless the engine bay is fairly sealed, it's going to be drafty in there :/

I think you're fighting natural convection more so than conduction through the hood. Maybe the reflective barrier will be useful for radiation losses.....

It's worth testing methinks Throw a temperature probe in there and log the temperature every 15 minutes or so.... Add the blanket, then do the same If everything is right, you should get two logarithmic plots. I used to have a $15 meat probe thermometer used for such testing, alas, it broke :/