View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Not too long ago I saw a pic of a very well made insulating cover for an Insight ICE. Can't find it again though.
This speaks to another point: OEM's actually DO insulate the heat in the engine compartment.. that engine cover isn't just there for looks. They put them there in an attempt to keep the engine hotter for a longer period of time, and allow for less dissipatory heat loss. Reason? Heated engines both last longer, and run smoother, not to mention they have better net efficiency, and less emissions.

People tend to do the multiple short trip thing, and keeping heat under the hood longer will help with overall efficiency during those short trips.

The fact that MPG/Ton has been increasing says nothing, nor do I believe it.

Consider that my 1989 Civic DX weighs in just over 2000 lbs... and gets 30-40 mpg average. Now consider that cars are typically heavier than that... and get less miles per gallon.

I believe this says that net efficiency and MPG/Ton have BOTH been reduced. Next excuse?

To further debunk this, it doesn't matter if weight has gone down, since we all know that an engine that is pulling less weight is working more efficiently... so if vehicle weight has gone down, so has efficiency... case in point - a 4300 lb cadillac gets 25 MPG in 1981, yet a 3100 lb cadillac from 1991 only gets 21?

1000 lbs less, and still 4mpg LOST? I think something's up here.

Claim is busted.. how about instead of purveying a lie to the public, they waste their time thinking of a way to fix it?