View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
dichotomous
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
remember this all changes when you use a forced hot air system, but nonetheless. I agree that keeping the coldest part of the room warmer is nice for living in, but it IS far less effective at keeping the rest of the room warm since a good chunk of the heat is escaping directly out of the window.
and the heat cycle sort of DOES die when this happens, the cold air falling on the radiator gets heated and flows up to the window where it cools and falls. SOME of the air gets into the rest of the room, what passes by this cycle that is. its not a good way to do things, its there to eliminate drafts as was said. I have some education in this (and an ABET-Ass. to show it).

Now basically, if you want to pay less to heat your house, it works well to have that window area drafty, fun part is if there is no furniture there, who cares if its a few degrees colder? plus we are too soft lately as a people, must have fully even temperature, must have cell phones, must not do work or have any inconvience at all. bah, bah I say!

that window is a hole in the wall thermally. I dont care if you have the new super awsome R-5 windows or even R-10 windows which I'd sure like to see! a 2x4 wall has an R value of 19, a 2x6 wall with layer of foamboard on the outside as well is better than R-30. the roof should be R-50 or more. so that 0-8 R rating on the window, is a thermal hole.

how to fix your existing window for better heat retention in the winter? easy, get the shrink film, put that on, now drape a blanket over the window when you want to keep heat out.