View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
malibuguy
MPG...what?

Terkle - '97 Toyota Tercel Whitehawk
90 day: 40.91 mpg (US)

Bubble - '10 Toyota Yaris base
90 day: 41.88 mpg (US)

Deva - '13 Chevrolet Spark LS
90 day: 39.82 mpg (US)

Malibu5 - '82 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Highlander - '06 Toyota Highlander Limited
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to malibuguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoops View Post
The K car body was introduced around 1982, as I recall. In any case, they did make a 5 speed stick. The 2.2 liter, to the best of my recollection, was the larger size 4 cylinder made by Chrysler. I think they stopped making a manual transmission in the late 80s, like 87, or so. The 5 speed was geared pretty tall, but it allowed a guy I knew, to drive a early Caravan, and get 35 mpg. However, it used the 1.6L, I think was the size.

I suspect that you could adapt a 5 speed, but I don't have any idea of how much work it would be, or what would need to be changed.

You could probably adapt a later model 4 speed, torque lockup transmission, I suspect. Again, however, I am not positive that it would fit with no changes. I'd suggest a place for you to find out more, but I don't know of any.
EARLY caravans used a Mitsubishi 2.6 along with the Mopar 2.2, their was never a 1.6, then a 2.5 came out in the mid 80's IIRC (basically a bigger 2.2, like 305 & 350 for chevy)

the 5speed was carried out 'till the end of the Kcar days...'93 for the shadow, '94 is when the Neon came out of the closet

poke around on Turbododge.com or allpar.com & start reading...BTW the Shadow is a "P-body" for your future reference

there were also turbo versions, along with a HO Shelby CSX variant of the Shadow, along with V6 powered ones by the 3.0 Mitsubishi motor with either 3speed or 4speed auto trans, or the 5-speed manual

-06 Highlander 3.3awd
-10 Yaris sedan
-97 Tercel, 1NZfe swapped
-96 Tercel
-82 Malibu 1UZfe swapped
-19 Fit (wifey ride)

www.pipedreamsfab.com