View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #83 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezler View Post
Hmmm...! That is certainly different. I like the look of the flow patterns over the top of the vehicle, but I am a little surprised at the rear... perhaps I just got too used to the earlier images!

So the novel spoiler design still works in this new flow pattern? Your earlier result %s listed were total horizontal force calculations, correct?

Would it make sense to give the model a flat ground level beneath it?
I keep throwing errors when I try and add a ground plane... I need to work on it...

BUT, I went to the library today and got a few new aero books that I haven't read (including Hucho's). In one of the books, it gives an approximation model for inviscid flow from the ground plane. Basically, take your model, and mirror it upside down offset twice the ground clearance about an invisible ground plane

Drawbacks for car application - it doesn't take into consideration viscosity which becomes more important at lower ground clearances. I'm going to implement and see what happens

%tages from earlier were from the "Z" axis - which would be my horizontal

New images look closer to Mitsubishi's, which gives me some confidence that it's better