View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #86 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
am i interpreting the information correctly when i say it seems no air is entering trough the top grill? would be interesting to see what blocking either intake would do the the internal and external airflow
I redid the model a bit, added the stylistic wings on the top grille and added the radiator cowling/outlet duct.

So flow seems to slowly enter at the bottom - and it looks like it's exiting at the top... That doesn't fly so well with me - but I don't really have a method of testing this....

What also doesn't fly for me is the hood... That big blue zone is all pointing the wrong direction - forwards.... Tuft testing really didn't show that. I think I'm going to need to do some flying tufts to see what's happening a couple inches above the hood....

Here's the overall setup

So why am I modeling the internals now? Am I getting too far ahead of myself? Well, the books I've been reading lately have been stressing that internal flow interaction will change external flow. Thus far, that is obvious - but we still look good for the JettKamm.... I'm essentially narrowing in on the 18.5 degree design for ease of manufacturing and easy of assembly/use.

I don't think I can make the model much more complicated - even these relatively "simple"/"low cost" runs are taking significant chunks of time and memory.

If anyone has some SODIMM DDR1 memory (1GB sticks up to 2 sticks) they'd like to donate

Next up - high resolution of the model above - for baseline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2184   Click image for larger version

Name:	overall.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	2185