View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #88 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mine is completely open - it's how I bought the car I know, it's terrible - when I open my hood and look down, I see ground (I should be ashamed ).

I will, eventually, block the grille's and add the stock under tray.... But it's important to get a baseline. Should someone else want to recreate, I want them to be successful.

I don't want a situation where the "base" is highly modified from stock whereas someone building for themselves doesn't get the claimed results. This is my beef with HHO peoples - "baseline" is nowhere near "stock" condition. Any failure just means you forgot X by those that want to sell you kits (and refuse to get/allow independent testing).

Quote:
But I suppose this doesn't matter as much for flow towards the rear of the car. As long as we get that hood flow figured out.....?
The flow behind a car is dependent on the "history". I'm getting somewhat different results with the engine bay approximation added in.... Flow under the vehicle ultimately ends up behind the car, and capable of interacting with flow that originated from above.... Although, I did add the ground effect at the same time, so I don't know which one is causing the difference

And UGGGH.... I need (rather, want) better hardware