View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #48 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Fiberglass is cheap and smoother.. FYI. Could also beget better aero, if even slightly.

I can't imagine all those ridges and small lumps in your metal work are helping... might not be hurting much, but still.
I'd love to have been able to do the mods in fiberglas composites since it would give me more flexibility in forming shapes. But unfortunately I don't have a large climate controlled space where I could do the lay-ups and the outdoor humidity around here is far too high most of the year for proper epoxy curing. One advantage of aluminum I can work on it outdoors even in light rain and it doesn't bother it if it is hot/cold, dry or humid. Also aluminum lends itself to doing quick mods, just cut out a shape with tin snips, pop rivet or drill&tap it in place, seal the seams, and paint, and you are ready to go. I had my windshield wiper air deflector built and installed on the hood in 20 min. No sitting around all day waiting for the epoxy to cure. Also no chemical exposures and odors, just the risk of metal cuts on your hands if you aren't careful.

I'll take some photos on Monday when I get off my current work cycle.