View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #92 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Aerohead : I believe you posted these pictures a while back. What car is this and what was it's Cd ?
While not a mass produced car, I still find it interesting. Also one more question for you : What was the Cd of the Oldsmobile Aerotech in both Longtail and shorttail versions ?

Cd,I looked through Fachsenfeld's book and it looks like the car is a 1939 Maybach SW38 "Jaray-Kombinationsform".------------- Cars like this were tested at the newly-opened Kraftfahrtforshungsinstitut,Stuttgart windtunnel (designed by Kamm).This is the world's first full-scale windtunnel and now is part of Daimler-Benz.The car registered Cd0.16 as shown,and Cd0.14 with wrap-around windshield.------------------------------- For the Old's AEROTECH,I did some reverse-engineering with Indycars(which the Aerotech is based on) and Porsche 917 and 956 stuff and came up with Cd 0.175 which is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! Too many unknowns! Yesterday I GOOGLED Aerotech drag coefficient,found a site and got Cd0.19 for the long tail car.--------------------------- No data for the short tail car,but back-figuring,using the 1978 Mercedes C-111 with full 60-inch boattail suggests the short tail Aerotech has about Cd 0.247.