View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #345 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Not to be outdone, I also ordered a blower

I ordered a blower just a couple minutes ago off of ebay. 250 cubic feet per minute! booyaa! The weak link will soon be the controller, because the dang batteries can put out about 2000 amps for 6 seconds at a time. But at least I'll be able to cruise a bit more normally without the motor getting real warm. I need to make the tube and round thing around the end of the motor to funnel the air into it. Now I need to fix the shimmying! dang it!

Also, I bought a 7 plug powerstrip thing so we can add an AC fan to keep the chargers cool. They get pretty warm without one, and I'm sick of bringing in a big dang fan from inside the house each dang time I charge the dang car. Now I just need a fan that will sit right on top of the chargers. That would be so gangster.

Hey, TheSGC, I saw your pictures of the blower and tubes and stuff. This is very exciting, isn't it?! ya! So, your blower is 3 inches in diameter I think (I almost ordered the same one). Do you know if it's hard on the blower to blow all that air into a smaller hole that will actually enter the car's 6.7" motor? Can the air still blow at the 170 cfm? And how about smoothly changing from 3" diameter to maybe 1" diameter rather than a sudden transition to 1". I wonder what the best way is to maximize the CFM?

Or maybe it's like water, where it finds a path as long as there is pressure. I don't know much about minimizing friction losses of fluid flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blower.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2213  

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 11-23-2008 at 12:28 AM..