View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
DieselHybrid
EcoModding Lurker

Mom's Taxi - '05 Toyota Sienna LE 8-passenger
90 day: 22.59 mpg (US)

Diesel - '09 VW Jetta TDI
Thanks for the SG gouge! I'll also try to reduce my hwy cruising speeds by 5mph- I'll be sure to post the results.

I've been examining my car for additional clues as to why my FE sucks.

1. My tire press reading dropped to 40.5 psi- on account of the lower ambient temperature. I'll inflate them back up to 44psi.

2. Time for an oil change? Checking my log, the last oil change was back in February- <5,000 miles ago. (2nd car- doesn't get driven as much) I use fully synthetic- which should be good for 7,500 miles. But, I'll change it.

3. DRL's. I've read here that DRL's cause the alternator to run continuously- thus burning more fuel. Can DRL's be disabled- and has anyone expereinced a gain in FE on account of this mod? Is the FE gain big enough to be worth it?

4. Under car aero. I am investigating fabricating coroplast (or similar) panels to reduce the turbulence under my vehicle. Anyone out there have experience doing this on a Corolla? (or Toyota Sienna?)

5. Underhood temps? Now that it is colder, I am considering fabricating grill blocks. Any help- again Corolla, or Sienna?

6. The tranny fluid? I understand that Toyota uses Synthetic tranny fluid from the factory. (I know this is true in family vehicle, auto tranny Toyota Sienna- so I assume it is true in my XRS' 6-speed manual)

Thanks in advance for you helpful inputs and suggestions.