View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

This EV:
SUNZEECAR

An interesting design-superlight, low speed EV that recharges through a standard charger, solar panel...and a pedal-operated generator. The Solar is good for leisurely recharges but only adds about 3 miles per charge during continuous operation, and the pedals are good for about another 5-7 mile extension if you like a decent workout. Now if you're close to battery depletion I suppose you could pedal like a madman for half an hour, keep pedaling during operation and limp home on a sunny day...

The gains of the generator are fairly minimal-and this is on a superlight EV.

Then there's:
Welcome to TWIKE

The Twike Active is supposed to add a good 10+ miles to range. The difference is that the pedals are connected directly to the drive train and actually lessen the power requirements of the motor at medium and high speeds(a Human-assist EV as opposed to a Electric-assist HPV). Note also that the Twike has a high Voltage AC motor and takes advantage of regenerative braking-but no additional generator.

I don't think a Generator gives you a good bang for the buck. They do make great, CHEAP motors for ultralite EVs though-think Go-cart, Bicycle, Recumbent Trike, Quadricycle...a 1970 Ghia generator(12V, 50 Amp) will give just at 2HP continuous at 36V, and still have a little 'flex' left in the RPM maximum. And about $25-40 on Ebay sure beats the hundreds for a custom job... Starter motors are great too, but you'd have to research to RPM and HP before buying I think.

Back to larger EVs though-if money is abundant, a high-Voltage AC motor and Lithium Phosphates will get great range with regenerative braking...very, very pricey but nice. If money is not so abundant, it's Lead-Acid time, lightweight chassis and better shocks. If you have a little spare cash at the end, you can juggle an extra battery or two, or mount a (hopefully used or discount) PV panel onto the roof in such a way as to not mess with the airflow. Again, you might get an extra 2 miles at best-but in the case of LA batteries the Trickle charge will extend the life of the battery and save you money over 5-10 years.

Now I suppose a truly dedicated Hypermodder could outfit a Pedal/generator combo into his ICE vehicle for the ultimate Alternator Mod....come to think of it, i'd pay money to see that.