View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
dichotomous
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
Aerofairing for a sport bike, Design and Creation

I am plannning on building a full aerofaring for my SV650s. it will cover most of the front wheel, most of the rear wheel (bottoms only open), and should be very aerodynamic when I am in a tuck position.

I would also like to be able to regulate where the hot radiator air goes, in the summer I would like it to vent out the sides of the bike and away from my legs, in the winter I want it to warm my legs, this should be an easy moveable panel.

creating some airflow to seat to, well, blow cold air at my butt would also be just awsome for hot summer days.

I want to integrate storage into the fairings, so I can stow a spare helmet, my boots, my jacket and pants, lunch, a rainsuit, and other such stuffs.

It should be easy to mount and unmount, and not require much in the way of "ghetto" supports, it should support itself off the frame of the bike. I wanna make it out of fiberglass or carbon/kevlar if I find the cash.

I have full access and a pretty good mastery of autocad (its sorta been my job for many years now) so I can design it and print sections for easier building (print section onto paper, glue paper to foam, cut. also allows for me to layout peices on a board to find the obtimal cutting patterns to fit parts inside parts and then assemble like a puzzle).

this is the begining, there are no pictures or concept drawings or flow testing yet. there will be. I am hoping to have help from some here who know their flow testing software (we dont do that here) and have ideas on strength or constructability. I will also present my ideas and designs for scrutiny and for you guys to have fun with.

my goal MPG with all this: no idea, the bike gets from 45 (riding HARD and to redline) to 55mpg right now, is a 650cc 90degree twin with water cooling and fuel injection.