View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #115 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'm on SW08 atm which doesn't take advantage of multiple cores sadly. 09 takes advantage of multiple cores for boolean operations and a few other things like opening multiple files. They're slowly converting it over to work with multiple cores. Recommendations from our reseller say to stick with dual core unless doing FEA since there isn't a huge advantage and single cores really aren't getting THAT much faster for the buck.

BTW, you can go into the bios and deactivate hyperthreading and you should see a performance boost in SW. But, I think Cosmos should take advantage of it.
Already killed HT I'm looking into building an eBay desktop... Older, used, motherboard - ~$30 processor and then as much memory as I can cram.

Quote:
BTW, how are you running out of ram? You should be able to increase your swap file size to accommodate as much as winXP 32 can handle. It just gets incredibly slow as it has to access the hard drive so much.
I've restricted VM to prevent the solver from getting too out of control... It's a slow laptop hard drive... When I gave it a lot more, solver time went up in excess of a week. It's just too much time for something I'm not sure will even work

Question for you... Is there a way to scale assemblies? That is, I have a rather large/complicated 1:1 assembly that I want to scale down to maybe 1:8.. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that