View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
I see it here all the time, people would rather build ginormous kamms, change their wheels, gut their interiors and block their grilles before slowing down, it simply makes no sense.
I'm not sure if I should sympathize or take insult on this.....

Do you think I don't get my fair share of jabs and prodding for my driving style? The analytical testing for my Kamm has always been 55mph..... Not 70 (max speed limit in FL) or 80 or some other asinine speed... I will probably test at higher speeds nearer to the end to make sure I won't cause nasty steering conditions.

Quote:
I wish we could make it mandatory to have fuel logs on this site. The first being the tank you filled just after finding us, then subsequent tanks showing progress my slowing down and proper tire inflation. Then add some driving techniques. Now when you see this graph plateau it's time to start modding your car, as these mods do not represent major improvements in FE rather than refinements to help you achieve a specific goal.
Lately, I rarely do a full fuel up... I fuel up based on market trends and my own self rationing. Rather than shoot for purely max mpg, I shoot for a period of time without fueling up. Sometimes I make my goals, other times I don't. But it requires not only a change in driving technique, but a change in driving lifestyle. That is, not driving when unnecessary on top of attempting to max fuel economy when driving.

And on the subject of kettles and their blackness - even you started fiddling before plateauing according to the notes in your fuel log.

That, and I, as a designer, feel that doing nothing (or ranting about others doing) until you plateau from driving style is innovation/design censorship.

I like the dieting analogy... But, I feel your analysis is short sighted. No, you don't just change what you eat. But changing habits (driving style) while ignoring what it is your eating (the vehicle itself) isn't going to be as beneficial as changing both habit and food.

Healthy habits - stop eating in excess
Healthy diet - stop accepting pure crap as food
Exercise - testing physical limits

Healthy Driving Habits - stop driving so fast
Healthy Diet - don't accept poor design
Exercise - test, everything (challenge yourself)

So I say all that and accept that it is not within my power, your power, any of our powers combined to change people. It's just not going to happen and any attempt to will likely result in a reaffirmation that their excess is just fine. They need to change themselves, first. Changing what they drive - now that's easy