View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
fanamingo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatjigg View Post
This is EXACTLY the kind of info I'm hoping to find for the R18A. So far, a few things that may be on the R18A's VTEC activation list may be...
- must be between 1000-3500RPM
- must not be accelerating or idle (i'm inferring this from the article about iVTEC on the R18A --> Technical Overview of Honda's new R18 i-VTEC Implementation)
- maybe a positive MAP reading?? (just guessing almost randomly)
- throttle % would need to be extremely low as well
- engine warmed up

Any chance the service manual has such an explanation?
Unfortunately it doesn't have much to go on. When trouble shooting i-VTEC, the oil pressure sensor is the only one checked for faulty operation. When testing i-VTEC (with Honda's proprietary computer system), it recommends testing with the coolant temp > 167F (75C) and rpm 1,100 - 3,300.

I'm going to see if I can tap into some of the other sensors with my multimeter to monitor when i-VTEC is active over the next few days. I'll try to correlate it with sensors viewable on the ScanGauge.

Edit: For anyone interested, the Helm service manual has lots of detail on trouble shooting various problems, but it assumes you have access to the Honda Diagnostic Service (HDS) Software. It also has the expected stuff like how to replace various parts. If you don't need the finer detail you might do better to wait until a Chilton or Haynes manual is available at a much cheaper price.

Last edited by fanamingo; 11-24-2008 at 09:13 PM..