View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
I'll agree -- I likely wouldn't have bought one -- I went for a Mitsu turbo at the time (not really a Mopar guy).

But having rented the milquetoast, automatic varieties, I realized that the chassis was very solid and promoted a good balance in handling. Then, there are the head gasket issues on some years and auto-trans issues.

The point being, it was the manufacturer's smallest, most affordable and efficient offering -- even with an affordable, ground-breaking sport model in the same box. It hasn't sufficiently been replaced and left a gaping hole in the segment.

-Rick
Gee.. no wonder they want a subsidy from the gov't... they keep getting rid of what we want, and replacing it with what they want us to want.

Legacy automobili.

If I were to get a Neon for my wife, or even for myself, I'd probably get a base model and swap in the Mitsu 4G61 or 4G15. (1.5 or 1.6 motors from x-gen Mirage. The 1.6 was also available in a Turbo option, making it more likely for someone like me to xfer.

Obviously, it's pretty easy to find a Neon w/a blown engine, making a perfect candidate for a swap.