View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #121 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
So approximating 2 yd's of 50" wide cloth per layer... Minimum of two layers (top and bottom).

17oz biaxial weighs about 47oz. taking 50/50 resin/cloth ratio (and assuming 1fl.oz. of resin = 1oz by weight - assumption from the supplier), that's 94oz per layer - 188oz for two layers... Which is ~11.75lb in cloth/resin.

Add the weight of foam and glue which I'm estimating ~ 5lb. that brings me up to 16.75lb. Slightly over budget on my weight goal at a cost of $34 in cloth plus shipping.

If I move down to 12oz cloth - that's a weight of ~8.33 lbs - plus ~5lb in foam/glue -> $13lb... Which is within my target of >15lbs at a cost of $33 in cloth plus shipping.

BUT, 12oz cloth is disproportionally more expensive.... I'm wondering if I should "go for broke" with the heavier stuff. I feel either of these weights will be more than strong enough because of the geometry I'm forcing, but I'm not entirely sure....

My decisions analysis says....
Foam Template/Core - Biaxial cloth - Epoxy Resin....

This weekend I'm home for thanksgiving, then it's the week before finals.... Then it's finals week.... Then I go home for a month.... I need to see what my finals load is this semester - if it's not too bad, I might start building late next week. Worst case, a few weeks.....

I've settled on 18.25 degree profile taper.... Now I'm looking for an optimal bird's eye taper. It's proving difficult because of the angles the rear of my car presents. A small lip spoiler and some styling should help it "fit in" with the rest of the car. I'll have a 3d model of the Kamm soon, but I've got a "test" of sorts to study for at the moment