View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Christopher Jordan
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
In a lot of states, electric bikes are supposed to go no faster than 20 MPH under their own power. So a lot of manufacturers design them to go that speed.
I had a 24V Currie kit installed by Electric Sierra Cycles in 2002. Made that recumbent trike "sing"- faster accelaration, flattened hills, boosted distance a lot. That trike is slowly wearing out, but the motor is not wearing out!

I have another recumbent trike (the one in my avatar), and from 2005 to 2007 added more and more until it was becoming heavy. I again had Electric Sierra Cycles install a 36V hub motor December 2007.

I think the Currie was before the 20 mph law and the newer Electric Sierra motor was after; since that old Currie doesn't seem to have governers or controls that the E.S. does have. That older 24V takes off in a hurry, and seems faste than the 36Vr; but neither one is a "slouch". Both have been a blast!

(pictured: TerraTrike with Currie,- the black'spot"near the back wheel/battery under seat- and E-Pod- all mechanicals inside- pre molding)

countersTrike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TerraTrike.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	260   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 E-Pod.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	261