View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
that would work in the winter, but not so well in the summer, no, my idea is to have a heat exchanger on the back side of the panel and have it on the roof, in the summer that heat would be piped to the radiator to keep the pv cooler, in the winter it would go right to the engine block to keep the engine warmer, electricity would keep the battery toped off, this would work because only 15-20% of the energy in light is turned in to electricity in a PV, most of what is left is heat, some of it bounces off of course (more the case if the PV was behind the windshild).
Question about PV cells... can a PV be made that any light will actually get through?

IF so, could those PV's be stacked so that the light passing through the first has to pass into the second one, scavenging more of the light's energy?

Obviously, the first one would be inefficient as compared to normal PV's, since it wouldn't be able to capture as much light energy being opaque, but the second layer could be a standard efficiency, which reflects light...

Using a one-way mirror effect, with the impermeable side facing the non-opaque PV cell, would that not allow for concentration of heat, that could then be vented/directed to any where you could put ducting?

What I'm thinking is kinda like this:

-----------------------------------------|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
================================|

Legend:
----- - opaque-one way mirror PV
~~~~ - airspace
===== - Non-opaque PV
| - wall/cap

See what I'm saying? As the light passes through the upper layer of opaque photovoltaic cell membrane, it produces SOME electricity, maybe enough just enough to power vent fans.

It then reflects off the second PV, back to the first one, which has a "light comes in but don't go out" mirror effect (like the interrogation rooms at the cop shop), which would reflect the light energy back to the primary (non-opaque) PV.

The result of having the clear-ish membrane is, of course, a greenhouse effect, which would cause heat buildup, which could then be vented (after passing a wind-vane type setup, for reclamation of energy) into whatever area you could duct heat to.

Now, if it isn't obvious by now, I know almost nothing about PV cells. I just like to think that I can ask the right question to get someone who does know to think in a different way...

So if this sparks your million dollar idea, just give me credit somewhere, and we're cool. :P