View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
guudasitgets
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
VW TDI vs. Gas comparison

I did some intresting figuring, took the prices of both VW jettas, TDI and the SE with a gas engine, plugged in the base price of both cars, and drove them for ten years. I usually drive 20,000mi a year so for the ten year time span here's what I found out. The cost of gas here now is $1.79 per gal, diesel is 2.79 per gal. Using VW's figures the TDI toal cost, car+fuel would be $35,940 for the ten year timespan. The gas Jetta would cost $32,264. No savings buying a diesel there. So I went double the mileage, 400k. The TDI would cost$49,890, the gas Jetta $44,609. These are just using the highway miles rating, the city would be much worse as the diffrence is only 9mpg. I did this because spring is going to be new car time and I have to start looking into a replacement for my Explorer and I'll probably get a car next and run the "Exploder" into the ground seeing as it's pretty much worthless now. I had done this because there are other SUV's that are starting to put diesels in them, thats the other avenue of choice. I guess there really is no longer an advantage cost wise when you figure that they cost more to begin with plus the fuel is a dollar more per gallon.

p.s. said Explorer is just above the tail of the race car in my avitar

"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608