View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #38 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

uhm. . . for EOC auto trans.

The only thing I can say is it may cause issues. IF the auto trans has a pump in it and you shut down the pumps will cease. The reason towing is not a problem is because the trans does not get hot to start with if its in neutral from the beginning.

IF you are at a red light and kill it no biggy because its sitting still and the trans is likely not as hot as it would be if you were Pulse and Gliding. Like revving up to 2500 and then shutting her down and coasting. The trans is going to be hot from power transfer and friction on the cradle and if you shut off those pumps suddenly you could fry the oil and then the trans parts.

Example.

If you run a turbo(gets much hotter than your trans) and shut down the engine after you pull into a parking space it will cook the oil and its parts so when you boot back up there is no oil starting out there. The pumps won't pump oil to the housing fast enough if you immediately break the boost threshold in backing out and the turbo is toast.

Same kind of thing could happen to the transmission. BUT you would have to be running her hot before the shut down and then run her rather hot right away. pulse glide and then right into another pulse might do it. The hot oil is going to stay right at the top and not mix and cool.

Not highly likely though. . .the example used a turbo which as I said gets much hotter, almost to the point where oil burns on its own. That said I would just advise caution for very short pulses, but the overall is going to come from judging does the trans jump or have issues when I do this behavior since this is not something that comes up in everday car talk.