View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #207 (permalink)
EDTIVA
EcoModding Lurker

for Capriracer

Hi Capriracer,

This has been a great 11 page thread and I have enjoyed reading it. 5 years ago ish, I took a skid car class in Bend, Oregon. The instructor has passed away, but he had a long list of credentials including time spend on NHTSA boards and other government tire safety committees. He also taught rally driving to pro Japanese drivers for years. He told us that tires are engineered to perform best a little bit below the maximum posted pressure on the tire, and to fill it to about 4 pounds under that level, and keep the differential that OE's specify such as 2 pounds lower in the rear than the front.

Can you comment on this at all? I would really like an engineer’s idea of what they do to their cars at home. The new car I have now says 33 front / 32 rear. But the new tires I have put on are 51max. This is such a large gap, that i am running them at 40/39. I'd like to run them higher 46/45. How true is this statement the driving instructor said? Your credentials are very impressive btw. Thank you in advance.