View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
Christopher Jordan
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
Those trikes are such a neat idea. Any idea what it would take to make one of those legal for street use? I would love to have one of those to go from here to work in, however, where I live the only road to get from here to work is a 55mph 6 lane divided highway basically, but it has a sidewalk so I was planning on riding the electric bike, for that portion of the ride, on the sidewalk and then once I got to the 35mph 2 lane roads I could get back on the road like normal. If I got one of those I wouldn't be able to go on the road in the 55mph zone because of the sheer difference in speed but it, being 3 wheels, probably wouldn't fit on the sidewalk...is there anyway to make one of those trikes that could go, say, 40mph? that would solve the speed difference issue and allow me to use it to get to work...or is there a law that prohibits it?
That enclosed one now has a rear light, turn signals, molded-in (permanent) top, side windows, a larger two-tone flag (like the other pictured trike) much higher gearing (to out-power the motor- like an overdrive) but it is still a bicycle as far as a license.

That means 20-25 mph max! That is on 35 - 40 mph streets. Strike 1

Neither trike has suspension. I was going too fast and did not see an upcoming driveway to get onto the street. I missed it, flew right off the edge- went airborn a couple of feet- and when the trike slammed back on the street: I swerved across two lanes. Suspension would have avoided that. Strike 2

Also concerning suspension; not every road is smooth as glass. Without it, the vibration causes a fair amount of noise. I hear lower noise of traffic, horns, sirens, construction, etc.; but I cannot hear my stereo or news without stopping. Not good! If I shut all windows and vents I may turn right into trouble without hearing it. Strike 3

For many years a trike held a 62 mph record, so 40 - 55 mph is possible; scare the "tar" out of almost anyone- but possible! _____

I have been VERY pleased with these small vehicles. Although about 3' wide and varying lengths- I feel extremely safe; but if there is a 55mph highway nearby- I am the first one in my car

countersTrike