View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

When you think PV think a little over 3 watts per square foot. 1 KW =1.15 HP(ish).

Using the PV to add to your distance on EV is not worth it until Solar cells go from their current 19-20% efficiency to something like 50-60%.

I'm pro-PV though. If you are an 8-5er then your car can sit at work all day and charge. So. . .Let's assume your work is 30 miles. at 30 miles the Aptera would be right at the point it has to kick on its ICE to recharge batts. But. . .you had your car sitting outside all day and it was sunny half the time so. . .(My car can fit roughly 5 BP375's (12 square feet 3x4)) so thats 5*75 watts*4.5(the BP 375 produces 75 KW an hour of sunlight five of them and 4 and a half hours)= 1.687 KW. . or 2HP/hour. basically enough to keep your EV only mode on until you get home without the ICE kicking in.

Also. . .If you don't go to work it can charge for free at home. . .Not that its terribly expensive but its 10cents per KWH that you don't have to pay. . .

I would leave it unplugged during the day to afford the most juice from the panels and then plug it up at night(assuming you aren't going anywhere for a couple of hours.

As previous replies state it would also boost you a few miles while you drive(assuming you go 30 you might get 33)