View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

issues

Two large issues.
1st and most obvious. Just because they deliver 1 million BTU's does not mean you get out 1 million BTU's. you get 400,000 BTUs(using the most advanced ICE piston engine ever).

They take the BTU reading from the chemical reaction of burning gasoline. You only get to access on a great day 40% of that. so multiple your numbers by two and then we'll talk that source.

two. . .
USDA's New Ethanol Energy Ratio where I got the other data(we'll just assume its wrong)).

Chiba (they now use excess gases that cannot be transported to produce huge volumes of electricity(no longer from coal) produces 420,000 gallons an hour.
They produce consequently 82 cubic meters of NOx per hour, 102 cubic meters of SOx, per hour.
Per gallon it yields 2 lbs of CO2(I assumed the plant ran full capacity 24/7/365 and divided yearly tons of CO2 by 365 and then 24 to get hourly and then divided that by number of barrels per hour 420,000).
Now Nox has 1912 grams per m3 and SOx has 2,300 grams per meter cubed
156,784 grams of NOx(taking the lowest average presented on the nets) per hour and 234,000 grams of SOx.
quickly estimating thats .30 grams of NOx per gallon and .5 grams SOx per gallon(which your engines are forbidden from creating altogether).

If anything the oil company is going to lie and underestimate as much as possible on its pollution statistics. It also uses substantial volumes of water per gallon of gasoline as well as other things. but even if it doesn't it still matches that old no cat diesel. and I'm talking gasoline that doesn't really produce either substantial amounts of SOx or NOx

It is WELL worth thinking about the sites employ off-site electrical grid. This is just from the refinery. So take its power consumption divide by half multiple by 2.17(lbs of CO2 per KWH of coal) divide by its gallon rate for whatever the rate of electrical consumption is. . .and tada. . .still right back where we started and the production of fuel creates more pollution than burning it. Save it, use less, pollute less. If you can emissions control without negatively influencing my MPG by even a single drop fine. Otherwise its creating more pollution.