View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.6 mpg (US)
engine block heater for a bike

I've been thinking about ways to warm up my engine quicker during the winter, and I think I may have come up with something.

I've just replaced the battery in my bike, not because it was bad, persay, but it never has generated enough cranking amps in the coldest parts of winter to start it, and I've gotten tired of jumping it, plus my special jumper cable broke. Instead of purchasing a new battery the same size, I shoehorn'd a tractor battery I had lying around that was until recently attached to a UPS.

This new battery is several orders of magnitude physically, and capacity-wise, larger. Which gives me a great deal of extra power capacity to work with.

My idea was, to replace the oil plug, with a glow plug, and I wanted to see if anyone saw any potential problems with this. The glow plug would most likely not be coming into direct contact with the oil, but would be heating the air inside the block.

The improvement in my fuel economy would be relatively minor, perhaps increasing by 5mpg at best. So, good idea, bad idea?