View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #693 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Were both halves of the Lovejoy firmly sandwiched all the way together? If you are using a tapped hole with an allen head bolt to hold the lovejoys in place on each respective shaft, could one have loosened and the lovejoys slid slightly apart, causing way more stress on the lovejoy teeth and spider? Even a couple millimeters would transfer the whole force to a smaller piece of the spider. Also, once there was some wear, like Darin was saying, each acceleration was like a running start for motor lovejoy teeth to bash into transmission lovejoy teeth. That could explain why the clutch plate spline was stripped too, because it isn't meant to have running start bangs, but a smooth increase of force.

That guy in New Zealand had a problem with the bolt that was supposed to hold the coupler to the transmission shaft. Also, the guy from Mississippi, Norm, that has like 63 videos on youtube of his EV conversions had a problem with the lovejoys separating some. He suggested to me that I re-tap the lovejoy hole, with a larger diameter, and add another tapped hole 180 degrees around the same lovejoy half.

I noticed that the $300 curtis (maybe all curtis) starts with a bit of a jerk each time, so that doesn't help, either. (or is that just mine?)