View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
If your looking at VW diesels be sure to check out tdiclub.com there is an IDI section (indirect injection) for the older gen 1+2 vehicles. Don't forget they made a VW golf / rabbit Diesel Pickup.
Be warned the old Diesel VW's they are very slow, I know this is ecomodder; but I said it anyway; just don't expect being able to reliably cruise any faster than 60mph.

A few bits of Wisdom.

Timing belts must run under a ton of strain because they pop a heck of a lot(I personally know 3 people (out of 4 owners) who have broken a belt and all of the valves after having the car sit up) ; if the car's been sitting change it.
(I'm actually on a computer belonging to one of those people right now)
You get to have really cool bumper stickers.

They are very loud (actually sound broken) when cold; I would highly recommend a block heater even if you lived down south.

They can runaway; be careful where you route fuel lines. A buddy's uncle had one run away on the Causeway bridge and couldn't keep it under 85; then it seized.

Also consider Nissan Diesel. I've talked to 2 guys locally who have them and love them.
I've heard great things about Volvo Diesel, But I don't know anything about them.

I do know a die hard Diesel Isuzu fan; If it were up to me I'd avoid them. But my friend thinks it's perfectly normal to overhaul a transmission every 30K, and do a Valve job every 60 k. But he's been driving them exclusively for over a million miles and wouldn't trade them for anything. I personally like to change my Diesel oil about every 30k . . . .

I hope some of that makes sense/ helps you out . . . .
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon