View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

I'm going to gamble no it does not extend the "new" batteries. The cells run on the idea of allowing two compounds to react in the presence of oxygen. The trick is there must be a barrier that allows oxygen in and not water. The barrier can be alot of things depending on the price of the battery. For the life of me I cannot remember what the two most common compounds are(one is cheap and the other is rather expensive).

Anyway those batteries run out when that membrane goes bad. When that happens the cell doesn't limit flow correctly and you end up getting compounds different than what the designers intended and you can't make the battery run in reverse. So slowly over time you get a new compound that does not revert back to say Nickel and Cadmium, and eventually most of your materials have become this useless compound.

A solar film for windows would be nice, except half of them would be either facing away or at a very bad angle. although it would decrease ambient temperature in the cab during the summer, I'm for it. . .when PV comes down in price ^_^