View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #129 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercelerat0r View Post
This looks interesting, and would stick out like a sore thumb on White Wallace =(

I'm a teenager and i guess that helps feed the fact that I don't want to look like a complete fool driving down the road, oh well.

I'm gonna go for it anyways!!!
So far my list of near future eco-mods will be:
Belly Pan
Some form of air dam...the front of my car looks like crap as far as being aerodynamic goes, So I may take a lesson from Basjoos' Aerocivic and whip up a similar front.
Rear Wheel Skirts
If you have a smooth underside, you don't need an airdam. The airdam is just a bandaid to divert air away from an aerodynamically dirty underside, but it increases the car's frontal area. It also creates a low pressure zone under the car which increases downforce, but at the expense of added aero drag.

The ideal low drag car would have a lot of ground clearance so the air doesn't get constricted when passing under the car, as is the case with the Aptera, which has lots of ground clearance under its body. Ideally the body should be flying through the air like a low flying aircraft, not pushing through the air like a blister on the ground. The trick is getting the ground clearance without increasing the aero drag penalty from the taller wheels.