View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
It's interesting to sit and watch this play out...I'm not certain electricity is really the answer...
It might be, and it might not, but every time I turn on the news I think "We must get away from dead dynosoar juice". You're still in school, commit to not just 'watching it play out', if you're not headed that way already, get in the game, there's no shortage of interesting and challenging problems to solve to keep a bright mind stimulated and engaged while earning a living.

Quote:
. . . but all that really means is they think if you drop a billion in their lap they can make one. A billion USD is alot for I think.
so true, yet we've mapped the human gene that will pay off hundred fold in terms of health benefits.

Quote:
some form of nuclear battery, small scale nuclear reactor
Maybe conventional EV batteries that get 'hot swapped' at roadside e-change stations, like I can exchange my BBQ's propane cylinder. I think if we can come up with cheap<er> energy, more effieciently convert that energy to work, the distribution and storage almost becomes easy.

Maybe nano-technology meets fission reator, embedded into a mode of transportation, a car maybe that I only rent... I don't know, but I have imagined that for years.

Quote:
If the U.S. went EV today it would just make your home electric bill go up, because the U.S. power grid is more than 10 years from getting mostly off of Coal and onto "free" power supplies.
cheap electricity <if it can be had> is at least 20 years away... but we gotta start now. I just hope the world ecomomy can support the investment, if it can, the payoff will be huge IMO