View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
merccom
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Hey merccom,

I know you want to go the home made alternator route but I would like to lend you some of my experiences running without alternator. I got about a 10% MPG boost when I did it.

I did a lot of research into this as I was experimenting and the deep cycle route is the cheapest and simplest. The weight gain from the batteries does not negate the benefits of getting rid of the alternator. On short trips you can easily run one battery and have a second for longer runs. Mine is set up with a series of Anderson connectors so it takes seconds to load. Think of it this way: Does adding one passenger cut 10% off your MPG? That's the eqivalent of at least two series 27 batts. Just improving the efficiency of the alt (if possible) would be a tiny fraction of the X route.

IEEE Spectrum: Automotive Electrical Systems Circa 2005

Just sayin' if you are going to go through all that trouble, it should be for the right reasons.

p.s. I love that otherpower site too. Wish I had time to make one of those generators and a windy spot to put it in.
the main reason i dont want go without an alternator is because i drive for a living.

i'll run between 100 - 150 miles a day. alot of it at night.