View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #411 (permalink)
Intrigued
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Pickle forks: not just for pickles anymore...

Hmmm... Yeah, those pickle forks can damage both parts, so you want to be careful. They are useful for putting pressure on the tie rod, though. If you can get the nut off but can't split the joint, thread the nut back on upside-down until flush, and then use the Big Hammer. Otherwise, you might do like one certain person I know and actually flatten the end so much you end up having to cut it off...

For the cotter pin to have broken off at both ends would normally be because the castle nut was jammed against it. Usually a person can move the nut a little to relieve pressure, then drive the cotter pin out with a small-diameter punch. WD-40 will help if the thing is actually rusted in the hole.

I suppose there's as many ways to get 'r done as there are people doing it, but I've seen guys use the pickle fork to try to hold things tight if the whole thing spins with the nut. Otherwise I heartily recommend the nut breaker, as most other methods of removal may cause bodily damage to either you or the car...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...