View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichotomous View Post
I'm starting to be agreeing with your brother. I have found that my car doesnt like to start as easily lately, and I am only EOCing a very little bit, but it doesnt like it, especially at night.

I think I am going to have to put up with the lower gas milage and not EOC. especially when its cold and I am not reving high enough to make a lot of power to the battery. or I could have a little bit here and there of driving spiritedly to revive the batt....
I would suspect a weak alternator or battery. Almost all alternators develop enough power at idle to charge the battery, in a fairly short period of time. My bike battery was handling it just fine, as long as I didn't run the headlights or my heated vest with the engine off.

Some DIY auto places offer free alternator/battery testing. No sense in putting off fixing something that could well leave you stranded somewhere.

Edit: And now I notice that your car is an '03, which means, if you still have the factory battery, it's between 5 and 7 years old at this point. Which usually is the point where car batteries start losing power. All the more reason to get it replaced.

Last edited by The Atomic Ass; 12-03-2008 at 12:09 PM..