View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
dichotomous
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
I would suspect a weak alternator or battery. Almost all alternators develop enough power at idle to charge the battery, in a fairly short period of time. My bike battery was handling it just fine, as long as I didn't run the headlights or my heated vest with the engine off.

Some DIY auto places offer free alternator/battery testing. No sense in putting off fixing something that could well leave you stranded somewhere.

Edit: And now I notice that your car is an '03, which means, if you still have the factory battery, it's between 5 and 7 years old at this point. Which usually is the point where car batteries start losing power. All the more reason to get it replaced.
I think it may have more to do with electronic power steering and headlights draining the battery during EOC, as well as I dont bump start (motor mounts are standard and I have a raceheader that bangs against the front swaybar under decel with the stock mounts, I have inserts waiting to go in that will stop most engine movement and eliminate the problem, till then though, I key on everytime) and its cold here, so all together and with the battery being like you said 5-7 years old.... I dont wanna chance it. plus I dont have the money at the moment to be replacing the battery, what with christmas and all and needing inspection and finishing up fixing the exhaust(raceheader was phase1 to replace leaking header and cat, phase 2 is a new muffler to deal with louder raceheader, then phase 3 is a high flow cat, which might have to happen sooner than later if I cant sneak though inspection. Oddly enough, all of that is cheeper than replacing the header and cat with stock or even reasonable aftermarket parts, and it gives me a BIG boost in power and milage, thought not at the same time)