View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
going to higher compression...

As some may know I love the little subes from the 80s and even before then.
my current has an ea82 3 main bearing boxer engine at 1781cc. Factory carb version. I have owned all versions but a turbo ea82, and had my foot on the throttle of one of those as well.

I found the most successful consistent fuel mileage was the loyales with SPFI (singular point injection) even with an old school high micron ECU making the electronics work.

For some reason I have associated the carb at 9:0.1 factory compression to make the engines weaker,built by subaru this way, as they are a snappy little engine to drive around with a natural tendency to make computers a complete idiot in the fuel/air world..

Recently I grabbed at a loyale engine and hope to complete my n/a carb project at around 10:1 to gain power with respect to: "Contains 10% ethanol" stickers on a lot of gas station fuel pumps today...

My anticipation leads me to ask here about the results, I have only had the ea82 up to 9.5:1 and it was the best one.
I can only assume this applies to many engines, even my v8s changed for the better with higher compression more so than large cams and crazy intakes.

A good idea? or am I going to be rumbling neighbors windows with a cessna AWD. (I have heard the 11:1 ea81 run with an incredible WW2 bomber/fighter type rumble) and am hoping the ea82 stays as calm as usual..