View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
jjackstone
Master EcoModder

Hi guys,

Been following the site for a while and had to get in on this thread so I signed up. I've been riding an e-bike for over a year now and put better than 2000 miles on it. I live 5 miles from work and ride it back and forth as often as possible.
Other than not putting gas into a vehicle there are a number of other reasons for an ebike.

In my younger days I rode a considerable number of miles on a street bike. I still get some exercise on the bike.

As I age though, there are a few more aches and pains that I notice. Not having to pedal as much/hard takes away the majority of those pains.

I have to pay for parking if I drive my car downtown to work. $10-11 a day is not inexpensive. I can park my bike for free where I work.

With traffic flow it takes me almost 7 minutes longer to ride my bike. I can live with that.

Most of all though, it is just plain fun to go 20mph on a bike without pedalling.

I use two Dewalt battery packs for my power supply. Total battery weight = 5pounds. That's good for about 6-9miles at 15 mph with steady easy pedalling to help out. I charge the packs at each end of the ride.

Cost in electricity = .3 cents per mile at a rate of 15 cents per kwh.
That is a correct figure above. I use approximately 100 Wh to go 5 miles. That costs 1.5 cents. 1.5 cents divided by 5 miles = .3 cents/mile.
Those are average numbers.
So at $3.00 per gallon of gas, I am getting an equivalent of 300 cents x 1 mile /.3 cents = 1000mpg. Quick, check my math.

Hope this is informative,
Thanks,
JJ