View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Palionu
ADHD Savant

Great White - '01 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
How does dimpling help on a golf ball if the ball is spinning constantly ?

As far as dimples on automobiles, I notice that Lexus did a famous job of dimpling the LS430 underside, and to my surprise VW is still using dimpling on the undersides of their cars . There must be something to it, otherwise they wouldn't bother ( Lexus used the dimples as a PR stunt, and this may have been the actual reasoning behing the dimples, but why then is VW using them if they don't really work ? )
The spinning of the ball has some effect but the important thing is that the dimples cause a surface layer of air which directs other air away from the surface, the greater the speed, the greater the effect.

I'll be back in a little bit, going to head out to Home Despot to look at aluminum sheeting to see if any of it is dimpled, I'll be back with the results of my search.

Update: No Aluminum sheeting aside from some dimpled 4" studs that are used as wall supports in buildings that would have to be flattened out to be usable. I considered a rain gutter but with weight = well more weight. Oh well, now to go teach class..

Last edited by Palionu; 12-03-2008 at 08:46 PM..