View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

I have another warning about Wink mirrors... from a Friend's dad, who beside being a <now retired> automotive engineer, crash test engineer for consumer's union, at the end of his carrer worked as an accident investigator and expert witness.

According to him, those Wink mirrors have been partialy responsible for 'scalping' the car's occupants during certain types of front end collisions. Apperently, in a front ender, the passenger lurches forward enough to graze the lower leading edge, peeling off that little protective cover, exposing the semi-sharp edge, which does the harm by pinching your forehead skin between the mirror's plastic fram and the skull, cutting then peeling back... you get the gruesome picture.

He claims to have investigated more than one such incedents. But... i think these were pre-air bag cars, so if you have a modern car maybe it's not a concern ?

My friend saw my wink mirror in my old racecar, and thought it was his duty to let me know about the words of caution, so I'll pass them along.