View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
dichotomous
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslug View Post
I don't understand how a set of companies with a business model that hasn't been updated in 40 years still refuses to rethink the way they do things. There are plenty of car manufacturers that are making a profit at the same time that Ford was operating at a net loss of 5.8 billion dollars.
If I were on the board of a company in that situation I would be hoisting the CEO up by their petard and pushing for restructuring of both the company direction, budget, and 5-year business plan.
Instead, GM continues to be the last company to adapt to changing consumer demand, and this means that most of the time they are 3 to 5 years behind the rest of the market when it comes to introducing products into any given market segment.

They are stifled by both executive ineptitude and unions with a death grip on the nuts of those in positions to make the decisions needed to change the company.

GM is a sinking ship that's on ablaze. And the executives seem to think that letting it sink is a sensible solution for putting out the fire. The problem isn't the sinking or the fire, it's the inability to adapt.
its entirely because the people who run the company are not interested in the company, they ONLY care about making money themselves. this explains most of the problems in the larger firms in the US.