View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
gto78
EcoModding Lurker

High Flow Washable Air Filter Brands?

On my wife's 2008 Altima I'm trying to find a better flowing air filter that drops in place of the original. My preference would be to use the AFE Pro Dry S, wich is synthetic, dry (not oiled), and washes with soap and water. It's high flowing, and filters over 99% which is much better than standard cotton gauze cleanables like K&N (95%).

Well AFE doesn't make a filter for the 4 cylinder Altima 2008 model. So besides K&N, what are my options? I've searched for hours and can't seem to find anything. My only option seems to be installing a universal cone filter but my wife won't like that because it's noisy. It's her car and she'll ***** about the noise.

I installed the K&N on my 350Z and noticed a mileage increase of maybe 1-2 mpg on average. The downside is the oil is horribly dirty now. Proof of the poor filtering of K&N can be found by looking at the thousands of oil analysis posts people are sharing on bobistheoilguy.com forum. They are anal about making one change and then doing an oil sample analysis at the next oil change. They all have solid proof that installing a K&N filter causes a huge amount of silicone to show up in the oil. I'm also proof. My oil has always been clean, I let the car warm up before hard accelerations and do on time changes. However after installing the K&N my oil turned dark brown within months. That dirt is entering the engine through the cylinders and scraping past the rings...... bad news.

Does anyone know of a brand that makes high flow filters for a 2008 Altima 2.5S model?