View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
gto78
EcoModding Lurker

Ok so to better understand what I'm looking for, I'll explain my original post a little differently. First and foremost I want a reusable, washable air filter. Various reasons include: 1) not ever having to buy another filter unless it's physically damaged, 2) I can clean the filter at every oil change or even more frequently if I choose to, 3) I won't be throwing away air filters into the public landfills every 10,000 miles, 4) Manufacturers won't waste tons of energy making these filters because I won't be replacing them, 5) in my area there is a lot of road construction which causes my filter to get dirty very often.

Now again, without DEBATING whether you would like to install a washable air filter on YOUR vehicle, does anyone know who makes them besides K&N, AFE, AEM, and Green Filter? Because I'd like to install one on my vehicle. My vehicle is kind of new and hard to find parts like this for right now.

THEUNCHOSEN brought up a great point that I had never heard of, which is that some filters use a powder instead of oil. That's really interesting, I've never heard of this. Do you know what brands? I'm thinking the powder plugs all the larger holes first and probably makes the filter a little easier to clean since the dirt rests on top of the powder.

I absolutely do NOT want anything to do with a "cold air intake" period. That will instantly lower the gas mileage not only in theory by needing more fuel to meet the more dense air charge, but also by seeing it first hand on several vehicles of my own. Cold air is more dense period. On my explorer I modified the stock airbox and put the factory inlet tube on the hot engine side and blocked the cold air side. The IAT sensor is showing about a 30 degree higher temp on average but gets even higher at low speeds. As a result the truck uses less fuel, and has a lower fuel flow to match the less dense air. I'm designing an on-demand blend valve that switches from hot to cold intake for when I'm towing and pulling onto the interstate.