View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nevyn
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Got my MPGuino Working!

So, I finally acquired a display and the remaining components. Started soldering, and have it working on testbed (my computer desk/workbench). I have some things left to do, though.

1. Display. The LCD I have was 'liberated' from a discarded telephone at work. It's a 24x2 WITHOUT backlight. I have to build a backlight for it.
DIY LCD backlight
I am about 1/3 of the way through this. I have the plastic, I just need to cut it to fit and re-assemble my LCD.

2. Case. I have yet to find an enclosure for it, especially considering that I have a longer display than normal. I almost want to perma-mount it in the car, but that would affect the resale if ever it came to that (not to mention make it hard to take the MPGuino out if the car ever died).

3. Code. With having a bigger display, I want to adjust the code a little bit so that the labels are a bit more intuitive than single-letter abbreviations.

4. Attach. I still need to find my ECU and find the lines I need to tap into. Haynes manual seems to say that it's in the engine bay.

I hope to get through this in the upcoming week. Once I have my code adjusted, how can I post it up as a branch of the main code for this display size?