View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
gone.s
EcoModding Lurker

old hippy modder

Greetings, I've been lurking for awhile, been rodding and modding even longer(since the seventies). I got my license right before the second gas crunch in '76. Gas was $.54 a gal year later it was $1.35 so I guess you could say I've been interested in this stuff for a long time. Owned alot of high milege cars: '76 vega 35mpg, '72 honda 600(2cyl) sedan 45mpg, '80 audi 5000 diesel 45mpg, 86 ford ranger diesel 30-35 mpg, and currently have a 3 hondas in the family alog with a couple of not so thrifty rides. My DD is a $1500 '95 civic dx(dentmobile) that I picked up when gas started to get stupid and my new truck was in the shop for 4 months(cheaper than car rental), The truck is gone and the honda is still here. This car gets 38-40mpg day in day out. My driving style is pretty much light hypermiling from way back. I'm putting a new exhaust on it this week. A pacesetter header,hi-flow cat, and cat back sys. I hope this will get me a couple of more MPGs. May try some moon wheel discs. Does anybody have any recommendations for 13" tires that are known for good milage? I'm not going to go crazy with this at this time just replace things as needed with an eye towards milage. I've got too many projects right now to build an aerocar. Other than that just a green guy. We used to call it "appropriate technology" back in the day. I live in a super insulated log home with a ground source direct exchange heat pump. That means it has freon going through coils in the ground. It's the most efficient type of system but not the most common. Anyway some cool stuff going on here and I'll keep you all posted on how the next mod(exhaust) works out.