View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Blackbird
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle
Overinflation will only reduce the contact patch on steel belted radials in extreme cases. I don't think anyone here runs enough pressure to result in a significant difference in contact patch.
Well, my guess is that you and everyone else in this thread who says that over inflating wouldn't cause any ill behavior of the car must have missed post #5 in this thread -
http://forum.ecomodder.com/showthread.php?t=764

So I guess someone DOES in fact run enough pressure that results in a significant difference of the contact patch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzie604 View Post
tires make such a huge difference, even in the same sizes, that the whole answer is just a grey, muddled, mess. are you really worried about safety? buy a set of high traction tires for the summer, and snow worthy tires in the winter. that way you have the highest chance of avoidance.
I am not as worried about my safety because I will not compromise it in the way that I find that some others do.
As for me buying two sets of tires, I live in So-Cal, our seasons are summer, summer, less summer and summer .

I find that some of the advice given in this forum is perhaps improving FE but at the cost of safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
a lot of little things add up, high pressure in tires, trying to carry momentum around a corner to have later, disabled self adjusters on the brakes, springs between the pads to hold them away from the discs, less than normal lighting thur the plexiglass panels, low vacuum, low power steering pressure, less visiblitiy, looking at the computer, one windshield wiper. who can think of more?
And your point is?
I believe it is your question that I read about saving gas through usage of BIKE tires or space saver car tires.
A fine example of what I'm talking about.
Is your FE more important that being able to safely operate your vehicle?
A bike tire is designed to generate grip at leaning position, therefore has a rounded profile.
A space saver was designed to allow the driver to bring the car in a slower pace than usual to the next tire shop.
Unless you lean your car into corners or limit your speed to max speed that space savers are supposed to be used at, please stick to normal car tires.

I'll get to the rest of the responses tomorrow, sorry, gotta go to sleep, work starts early tomorrow...

Moti