View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Actually, one of my friends made side skirts (read: Ricer body kit) for his Honda Accord years ago, from vinyl siding corner trim. He mounted it with bulk clips to the pinch point of the body. They didn't protrude out the sides of the car, but almost perfectly lined up underneath, although b/c of the curvature of the rocker panel, there was a gap that needed to be filled (he later filled it in, not sure with what.)

The stuff he used is shaped like this:

____
l.....|
...._|

Look at the letter "l" as it's the particular interest for mounting. Using metal spring clips, you could slide them over the vinyl and the metal "pinch point" in the car's body to hold it securely under the car.

I'll try to illustrate a little better if I need to.

Anyway, the same idea could be used for the front, and it would give you a 3" vinyl lip, however, vinyl siding won't fare well in winter. It gets VERY brittle.

P.S. For silicon or Latex to stick to the plexi/polyacrylic, you need to scuff it up a bit first, then wipe it with vinegar. It still won't hold a lot, though, so you'd still need to fasten it with something.

I really like the fact that you actually trimmed it out to fit in the space provided though... that says that you care about your car's appearance, and will take the time to do the mods correctly, or they won't get done at all. At least IMO.

Last edited by Christ; 12-08-2008 at 12:10 AM..