View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

I didn't realize this post was being taken so seriously. So here's my corrections to this. Apologies to Tasdrouille for not adressing this earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post

The RRC is almost the same from 0 up to 55 mph, when it starts to increase rapidly. At 80 mph, it is roughly twice as much as 55 mph.

RR is only 29% greater at 100 mph as it is at 35 mph for tires without cap plies - and only 13% greater for tires with cap plies.

Ref: The Pnuematic Tire, published by NHTSA Aug 2005, pg 494

Quote:

The relation between tire pressure and RRC is almost linear, and is still significant in excess of 100 psi.
The relationship between inflation pressure and rolling resistance is a decreasing curve (as the inflation pressure increases). The difference between 40 and 48 psi is only 2%.

Ref: SAE Paper 800087 - The Effect of Inflation Pressure on Bias, Bias Belted, and Radial Tire Performance by B. L. Collier and J. T. Warchol, B. F. Goodrich February, 1980

Quote:

Blowout risks related to sudden pressure rises in overinflated tires are non existent as radial tires will not unbed under 150 psi.
A tire's ability to absorb an impact decreases 20% as the inflation pressure increases from 32 psi and 40 psi.

Ref: SAE Paper 800087 - The Effect of Inflation Pressure on Bias, Bias Belted, and Radial Tire Performance by B. L. Collier and J. T. Warchol, B. F. Goodrich February, 1980

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!